Friday, September 12, 2008

Rembering...a day later.

It's crazy to know that we lived through something our kids will learn about in text books. I will never forget that day. Seven years ago our lives changed forever.

I was a senior in college (Cabrini College, Radnor/PA) just waking up to the sounds of my roommates and my alarm. My first class of the morning was a history class, ironically enough. I remember my roommate saying, "Oh my God, what the f&c*!" and all of us roommates running into the room. It was so surreal. So fake. I couldn't believe it, even though I was watching it with my own two eyes. Classes weren't cancelled, because at that time, no one knew exactly what was going on. Was it an accident? I mean seriously, who really just flies a plane right into a building?
We all watched, glued to the tv while putting our clothes on to see what exactly was going on.

I went to class and my professor didn't turn on the tv, he didn't want to talk about what happened, because again, we didn't really know what was happening. I don't remember a thing from that class on that day (seriously, who does??)...I just remember thinking, what is (my then boyfriend) Paul doing? At one point, I left class to check my message at the phone in the hall. During class a LOT had happened. A whole nother plain crashed into the other Trade Center, and into the pentagon...and one of the buildings had collapsed! Now I was saying, "What the F*C&!" Paul had left me a message saying (he lived in Baltimore at the time) that he was picking up his niece and he didn't know when we would be able to talk. He had heard on the tv that they were shutting down phone lines and shutting down 95...how was he going to come get me??

I raced back to my room, tried to call him and didn't get a hold of him. Called my mom, whom I don't think even knew what was going on yet, and then tried to call my oldest brother, who was docked in VA. He said that he thought they might be leaving to head up to NYC for assistance and that he would keep in touch. I finally got to talk to Paul and was going to leave to come to Philly the next day.

At this point, we know that it was a terrorist act and I remember some or my roommates going on about the day, and me being scared shipless. My mom and dad were in TX, my one brother was heading on a boat up to NYC and my other brother, who's in the Airforce, could end up anywhere. The love of my life was 2 hours away and I didn't have anyone. I was alone. Sad. Scared. I wanted my mom and I wanted my pink bear. I wanted a hug. I wanted my roommates to be as sad and scared as I was. Maybe they were, but I don't know. They could all leave to go home and I couldn't.
Shortly after 9/11, Paul moved into my apartment at school and shortly after that we got our own apartment.

Life moved on and those events from 9/11 are now a memory. Ones that I will never forget. I can't even begin to imagine how New Yorkers felt that day. I lived only 2 (give or take) hours from NYC and I was freaked out. I can't even imagine how they were coping with this. Watching their city being destroyed like that.
Shame on you. Shame on you for killing thousands of innocent people and destroying thousands of families. For putting this day in their memory as a day they will never forget. Shame on you.

Last night Paul and I watched a documentary on the history channel that chronicled videos that were created on 9/11. From tourists, New Yorkers and news people. It was insane. People running while filming. The cloud of ash and dust that flew over everyone, how you could see it coming and then everything turning into a grey cloud. I was so incredibly sad. I just wanted Paul to touch me...his feet touching mine while we layed in bed made me feel better. Knowing that he was there, and knowing that we just had dinner at my parent's house. Knowing that my brother was home with his girlfriend and my other brother was home waiting for his wife and daughter. I feel safe. If I need a hug I can easily get one.

Go hug someone you love!

No comments: