Thursday, May 21, 2009

Something Delicious

This week is banquet week for Paul...meaning he's been gone 3 nights this week, so I've been left to cook for the wee ones and myself 2 of those nights (one of those nights, I went to the banquet as well and had the BOMB BBQ...might I add, it is so difficult to find good BBQ 'round these parts!).

This eveing it was so beautiful outside and I was hesitant to come in and cook dinner, I just wanted dinner to be there. The table cleaned off of markers and coloring books and my dinner to be waiting for me. But since that is also what the girls wanted, I put my book down (still trying to read Eat, Pray, Love) and marched myself inside and starting pulling out random ingredients. What I ended up with was a bowl full of a delicious fresh ingredients :)




T-Flo's Delicious Elbow Salad
  • cup or so of un-cooked elbow spegatti (looks like spegatti noodles cut into 1 inch pieces)

  • 1 shallot, chopped

  • 1 large clove of garlic, minced

  • 7 or 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered

  • couple slices of bacon, cooked crispy

  • half a cup of pureed butternut squash

  • shredded parm cheese

  • tastefully simple season salt (I tried to link their site, but it's not working :( )

  • baby spinach, rolled up and cut up to shredded slices

  • butter

Boil your noodles until tender. In the meantime, soften the shallot, garlic and cherry tomatoes with a TBS of butter (or OO) until nice and brown. When the noodles are done cooking, drain and add a TBS of butter, pureed squash and the shallot mixture back to the pot with the noodles. In the same pan you sauteed the shallots, add your bacon and cook till done. Drain fat, and crumble/chop. Add to the pot of noodles. Take a handful of baby spinach, roll it up (kind of like a tortilla) and chop it up. Add to the pot. Throw in a handful or so of parm cheese, and mix well. Season with season salt.

When serving, sprinkle more cheese on top and avoid giving Big wee one tomatos :) She ate everything else, but I know she would freak if she had a tomato in her bowl. Sooooo good! It really was, and it was so healthy. I don't call spinach, spinach because Big wee one won't eat spinach, but she will eat herbs :) hehe!

Here's a picture of the girls after dinner. I finally charged my camera :) Tomorrow's Friday! and the start to a long weekend....enjoy it!

1 comment:

Our Journey to Rachel said...

Hey Tina:

Did you like Eat, Pray, Love? I read it cover to cover, but had trouble getting through it. Was wondering what you thought of it?

Hope you all are well!

Sherry